Bout Rules and Scoring
1) Will start promptly at 4:30 PM.
2) Will be attended by all Participating Teams, each by a minimum of six poets. Teams that fail to attend two bouts can be removed from the league without refund.
Each team . . .
1) Must consist of at least six poets. Numbers should grow throughout the season.
2) Must perform at least one group poem in every bout.
3) Must pay a non-refundable $250 registration fee before competing.
Each performance . . .
1) Must observe the stated time window. Performances over the time limit will disqualify a team from the bout.
2) May not be repeated until the post-season, and then only one repeat per team.
3) Must adhere to PSL's Trigger Warning Policy.
The performances . . .
1) Must be free of profanity. (Two Profanity DQs will eliminate a team from the league.)
2) Must present original work by every poet who touches the stage. (A person may not be a prop, may not just sing background music, etc.)
3) Every poet may only touch the stage once during a competition. Failure to do this will disqualify a team from the bout.
The Scoring . . .
1) All performances will be judged by five judges on a scale from 1-10. We will keep, and add the three middle scores.
2) The scores are divided into 5 points for Performance and 5 for Writing.
- An individual piece cannot score above a 4 in Performance.
- A group piece can not score below a 4 in Performance.
3) Any piece that is read will have a 10-point penalty.
4) The top four teams after round 2 qualify for the third round.
Teams earn points for . . .
Participating (Attending on the team's off-week) - 1 point
Making the 2nd Round - 2 points
Winning - 3 points
The Championships . . .
1) All teams will make the Post Season.
2) The top two teams in each division will receive a BYE. They do not have to compete in the Semi-Finals.
3) Everyone else will compete for the final two championship spots in each division at Semi-Finals.
4) Slam League Championships will be an Elite Eight, single elimination. Two teams are eliminated every round. (The regular season champion of each division bypasses the 1st round.)
1) Must be willing to help Slam League staff to monitor the event during off-weeks.
attn: Alexa Sarkuni
1315 Walnut Street, Suite 320
Philadelphia, PA 19107