Agreements and Regulations
- I agree to encourage my team members to attend all Philly Slam League Events in the spring.
- I agree to provide a loving, inclusive environment for young people to explore the power of their voices.
- I will encourage my poets to be active listeners, writers, and performers.
- I understand that Philly Slam League is about encouraging development - and that the competition is just a bonus.
- I will communicate all Slam League regulations to my poets.
- I will seek to GROW my team throughout the season. Teams are not to be exclusive.
- Must be willing to help Slam League staff to monitor the event during off-weeks.
- Will start promptly at 4:00 PM, with the goal to be finished by 6PM.
- Will be attended by ALL Participating Teams, each by a minimum of six poets.
- Must consist of at least six poets. Numbers should grow throughout season.
- Must perform at least one group poem in every bout.
- Must pay a $250 registration fee before competing.
- Must be below three minutes and ten seconds in rounds 1 and 3.
- Must be below one minute and thirty seconds in the lightning round.
- May only be repeated once over the course of the season. This includes championships.
- Must be free of profanity.
- Must present original work by every poet who touches the stage.
- Every poet may only touch the stage once during a competition.
- All performances will be judged by five judges on a scale from 1-10. We will keep, and add the three middle scores.
- The scores are divided into 5 points for Performance and 5 for Writing.
- An individual piece can not score above a 4 in Performance.
- A memorized group piece can not score below a 4 in Performance.
- Any piece that is read can not score above a 2 in Performance.
- The top four teams after round 2 will make the third round.
- Participating - 1 point
- Making the 3rd Round - 2 points
- Winning the bout - 3 points
- All teams will make the Post Season.
- The top two teams in each division will receive a BYE. They do not have to compete in the Semi-Finals.
- Everyone else will compete for the final two championship spots in each division at Semi-Finals.
- Slam League Championships host the top Eight schools in a single elimination tournament. Two teams are eliminated every round. (The regular season champion of each division bypasses the 1st round.)